Now that your crops are planted and (hopefully) poppin’ up in rows, it’s time to prepare your SureFire Ag products for the off-season. In this blog, we’ll discuss winterization and off-season care of all SureFire Liquid Application Systems. Taking the time to complete these steps now will not only protect your systems, but it will also make next year’s planting season start-up go as smooth as possible.
To winterize your SureFire Ag liquid fertilizer application systems, please follow these key steps before you put the system in the shed for the off-season:
- Flush the pump and complete system with plenty of water.
- Use RV antifreeze to winterize your system by pumping an adequate amount through all the components.
- Do not power wash the flowmeter, EPD, or control module. This can get water to the electrical components inside, which can corrode the system over the off-season.
- Clean harnesses, especially if there has been a fertilizer spill. Blow out all the connections, check for corrosion, coat pins with a good dielectric grease.
- On hydraulic pumps, consider replacing diaphragms and valves every two or three years, more often if the system has been used extensively. Change the pump oil annually. Replace with SAE 30 non-detergent oil.
- Make a note of components that may need to be repaired or replaced; this will help you plan ahead and prepare for next year.
- Make a note of system performance items that you would like to see improved for next year. Take care of these replacements and improvements this winter to give you plenty of time to hit the fields next year.
Check out the SureFire Ag blog for other helpful maintenance and system care tips. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team. We are here to help, no matter the season or the system.
Follow SureFire Ag on Facebook to be in the know about early order programs and other summer specials!