Now that your crops are planted and (hopefully) poppin’ up in rows, it’s time to prepare your SureFire Ag products for the off-season. In this blog, we’ll discuss winterization and off-season care of all SureFire Liquid Application Systems. Taking the time to complete these steps now will not only protect your systems, but it will also make next year’s planting season start-up go as smooth as possible.
To winterize your SureFire Ag liquid fertilizer application systems, please follow these key steps before you put the system in the shed for the off-season:
Be prepared for spring fertilizing with these Surefire tips for your fertilization system:
1. Load the tank with 100-200 gallons of water. Utilize the stationary/manual operation procedure for your controller. Allow the pump(s) to run long enough to thoroughly flush the system of any solids that may have accumulated over winter.
2. Inspect the system for any leaks.
3. Use simulated rate and speed mode to ensure the system is working correctly. Keep in mind that water is thinner and weighs less than fertilizer and will result in significantly lower pressures than when fertilizer is pumped. If not all check valves open initially, increase your simulated rate until you reach a minimum of twice the cracking pressure of your check valves. (SureFire check valves with a black cap=10 lbs, with a blue cap=4lbs)
4. Pump any remaining water from the tank, fill with fertilizer, and you are ready to head to the field.
5. For more specific information about operating your SureFire System, see our support page for your specific control platform.